Top 6 Takeaways from the #YourRiskIsReal Twitter Chat
As hurricane season approaches, it is imperative to grasp the ins-and-outs of flood insurance and risk. NAIFA was a proud participant of the #YourRiskIsReal twitter chat, hosted by ReadyGov, which was aimed to educate on the implications of disaster preparedness.
Here are NAIFA’s top six takeaways regarding flood risk:
1. Make sure to download mobile apps, such as from FEMA, that alert you with loud sounds that impending weather is coming your way. Follow @NOAA on social media for the latest weather-related social media updates.
2. Conditions can change on a dime. Not evacuating endangers everyone because there is not enough time to escape if needed. You also put more of a toll on local emergency services that cannot get to you or respond. It is a vital need to build consumer trust during emergency conditions.
3. Pets also need to be in your plan. Make sure that you've got a water bowl, food, blankets, medication and a leash ready to go.
4. An example of an ideal “go” bag is an emergency diaper bag. Make sure you've got all the essentials needed to keep yourself and your loved ones alive with the means to communicate.
5. Don't forget toilet paper in the “go” bag! Be sure to include first-aid necessities and disinfectants like rubbing alcohol.
6. You might not initially think about your mortgage but thinking about your finances is an essential aspect of planning for inclement weather.
7. Bring a copy of your insurance policies in a sealed bag, along with contact info for your agent/advisor.
See the entirety of the tweet chat at #YourRiskIsReal.